Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Huh??

One of the conversations that occurred on our way home from CA a couple of weeks ago.


Kids: Mom can we stop at chum bucket on the way home to eat?

Spencer and I: HUH???

Kids: Yeah, you know..... the place that we had chicken and dumplings at on the way over.

Spencer and I: You think that place is called Chum Bucket?

Kids: Yeah.

Spencer and I: So.... do you know what a chum bucket is?

Kids: No, what is it?

Spencer and I: It's the bucket that fishermen use to store there bloody chopped up rotting fish in. So they can throw it in the ocean to try to catch sharks.

Kids: EWW that's gross. So can we go to Chum Bucket?

Spencer and I: It's called Cracker Barrel, not Chum Bucket.

Kids: So can we go?

Spencer and I: (looking at each other with look of baffle on our faces) I guess.


Needless to say they continued to call it Chum bucket several times after this conversation. Where do these kids come up with this stuff?

7 comments:

KaDee said...

I have two words for you Lisa, SpongeBob Squarepants. They have a Chum Bucket restaurant on that cartoon.

Sad that I know this.

The Hatch's said...

I had no idea. My kids don't even watch that show at all. Funny the things come up with.

Tam said...

I think Chum Bucket is a great way to describe Cracker Barrel. BTW I cant get over how big your baby is. HE looks a ton like Brandon. Too cute!

Genelady said...

Yeah, we have Cracker Barrel converts. I laughed so hard. You know Dad and I like it.

Heidi said...

That's too funny. My kids come up with funny names for things too, sometimes pulled from cartoons I don't think they've ever seen.

Marianne called Walmart "Gallup" for years. (I guess because when we were stationed up on the Navajo Rez we drove into Gallup, NM to shop, and it always included a Walmart stop.)

Robert Thompson said...

I learned something today. I just thought the Chum Bucket was the restaurant where Sponge Bob worked. I never knew it was for fish guts.

Jill and Scott said...

Cracker = Chum... Barrel = Bucket!
Makes sense to me! I love those kind of conversations. We need to keep journals of all the funny things our kids say!